Well I just completed my first recycled project. Although I thought my mini me was going to be able to help me, she couldn’t suck it in enough to get the waist fastened.
This project started with a pair of cream capris that had been used to the full and a printed skirt that although I like the print I really didn’t like the fit. I’d been telling myself for years . . . and I do mean years . . . to get rid of them both, it’s a good thing they ended up in the Goodwill bags that made their way into the garage.
I decided to dye the cream a nice grey using Pantone’s 2015 color titanium and Ritdye color matching chart.
I haven’t really been able to get into the maxi trend, but I do like the high low look . . . I loved that look back in high school, and this is one trend that I’m glad to see come back around.
For the hem on both the skirt and lining I decided to work with a few features on my serger and machine. For the skirt I used the roll hem feature on my serger. I hadn’t used this in years so I had to pull out the instruction booklet.
And for the lining I used a hemmer foot that has to this point gotten very little use.
This skirt will probably get a workout this spring and summer.
Off to the next project!
We made the most of our five hour drive into San Francisco . . . No it doesn’t usually take us that long to drive in but the traffic on this particular day was a nightmare! So we made lemonade and had a nice burger at the Burger Bar and stepped inside #Britex Fabrics to drool.
I was able to refrain myself from buying anything as I have not yet decided what color to use for my fall pieces. I am torn between Pantone Fall colors Carafe and Turbulence. And at this point Turbulence seems to be winning.
One thing for sure is that our next ride into the city will be on #BART.
In an attempt to find a nice piecce of jersey fabric for a spring top I took my regular stroll around Joann’s. Unable to find a color that “jumped out” at me I had an idea to dye a white piece of knit jersey fabric sitting in my ever growing stash. Although I didn’t end up with the original color on the Rit Dye Chart the color I did end up with turned out to be a very pretty spring purple. It reminds me of the Pantone Spring color African Violet (16-3520).
I used Simplicity 1916 for this project. I’m still learning to fit my larger than the average “B” size bust and so far it is coming along. In my determination to make sure the “girls” were properly fitted I did not follow the pattern directions and some how ended up with the gathers on the wrong side (I’m still trying to figure out how that happened). But to my surprise the “girls” were nicely placed within the top and with ample fabric cover them, but somewhere in making the alterations the sides of the top no longer drape as it should. I haven’t given up on the blouse because I love the color so I will make an attempt to redesign the top into something I will feel comfortable in wearing.
I still have a little work to do with the arm and breast area, but I’m hoping to get it together soon. I will keep you posted on my progress.